Wednesday, June 13, 2012

My Bloodline...Getting to be a Royal Experience

      Suddenly i can feel my fingers trembling...heart beat thumping faster...vision is blurred...and i feel so weak and fatigue...ooops this must be hypoglycemia,  i tell my friend ...COKE PLEASE DO IT FAST!!!


Oh yes, this must be diabetes. Diabetes Mellitus is a chronic disorder characterized by abnormalities in fuel metabolism, including glucose, lipids and amino acids.


     In the past five years, I've had lots of laboratory test, uric acid, sgpt, creatinine, ionized calcium, high pressure liquid chromatography, stress test, urinalysis,  blood sugar from fasting to regular daily test - thanks to my mom for providing testers - it also has evolved from painful needles to the smaller ones and now its also a talking tester.  Some, I gave  for being so blessed, sometimes if i have extra strips( P30-P40 each) , i bring extra needles and strips to the office and share blood sugar testing with my office mates.


    Diabetes have complications like stroke, heart disease and worst peripheral gangrene - a friend of mine had to have her lower leg cut because of this, my other uncle is diabetic as well and i just learned that he is now into dialysis for kidney failure due to the big D - he even joked that he is now on extended warranty and that it has been very costly to be dialyzed.

    The worst thing that happened to me with diabetes was a miscarriage on the 4th month of pregnancy. I had doses of insulin to lower my sugar level, it was increased every week and i was told that it was too risky to be pregnant when diabetic - I never missed any check up with my ob gyne and diabetologist ...we were so excited and my kids had mix feelings of the pregnancy. Until one day, the baby lost its heartbeat and so i had to undergo a D and C.

    I even asked  my mom when she came  , Why did  you give me the most expensive gift in my lifetime...worth more than a million- Diabetes.??? She LOL . Of course, I was just kidding, its all my fault after all ---too much of anything can kill.

    The food we take can be controlled but the stress you undergo from home to work and events taking place in your life should be managed properly. Life has just began for me, there are so many opportunities in government service and the academe. A few semesters ago, I wanted to work from 8 to 8 Monday to Friday- doing two jobs,  Saturday 8-6 for my graduate studies. I earned enough to pay for my bills, medicines and travels. On the other hand, it was a bit stressful physically. Now, I have priorities and had to give up teaching to finish my studies and have more time with family.

   Recently, I won a magnum ice cream for betting on Bradley while my children were for PacMan. The ice cream and its sweetness surely gave you the royal experience and sugar reading went as high as  200. Yesterday, my friend gave me two chocolate bars - i only took a bite...my sugar is now back to 147.
Whew!!! I have started a new weight loss coffee drink yesterday (thanks to  my mom in law) . Im trying to lose weight and exercise at home by doing lots of domestic work .

    When you are in the sweetest province in the country , has a job that attends to festivals and special events in all 32 towns and cities whole year round the past 17 years - - -i bet the temptation is just irresistible.

    The secret is --- do all things in moderation.




1 comment:

  1. hahaha, hala Jen, basi maging mas seksi ka pa sa mga lin-ay! wow!

    ReplyDelete